Tome decodes contracts. Here's a dirty secret: everyone signs contracts without fully understanding them — even lawyers! Solving this problem with technology reinvents the $400B/year legal industry. Our SaaS platform instantly translates complicated contracts into simple reports. Tome tells you what your contract says, what that means, and what the other options could be.
We empower everyone to understand their rights, understand their options, and choose the right answers for them. We provide instant, precise legal analysis to businesses, and also for free to low-volume users. We start in a narrow, high-value domain — early-stage VC financings — because the industry has properties that are a perfect match for the AI challenges.
We’re a seed-stage company backed by top VCs and angels including SignalFire, Quiet Capital, Moxxie Ventures, Uncommon Capital, Shrug Capital, and a former Solicitor General.
We imagine a world where contracts are as easy to use as Google Maps. Build that world with us. We’re looking for ambitious, driven engineers who like to simplify complexity.
You’re a great fit if:
- You thrive with autonomy and ownership
- You love collaborating with brilliant teammates, especially outside engineering
- You’ve owned a production feature/product end-to-end
- You go the extra mile to ensure reliability, precision, and predictability in your systems
You'll get to:
- Build end-to-end reports that are "everything to someone," controlling $millions each time
- Engineer ultra-responsive, high-performance web applications without legacy code
- Build security, reliability, and confidentiality from day one
- Work cross-functionally with lawyers, designers, VCs, and engineers
- 3+ years of experience engineering next-generation cloud applications (language agnostic)
- Solid understanding of best practices in your language of choice
- Interest in building a strong engineering culture together
- Passion and curiosity for how we could redesign the contract for the 21st century
- Python data infrastructure (flexible pipelines & clusters)
- Both SQL and graph databases
- Multi-cloud architecture, but mostly AWS
- Next.js (React) web applications (we get to precompute everything!)
- Early-stage startup growth opportunities (both as a company, and for you!)
- The opportunity to change a $400B industry that has seen ~0 disruption
- Competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, including ample time off
- Fun cross-functional learning — blending the best of law and technology
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups in both tech and law.
We are based in San Francisco, CA and “remote OK.”
Something looks off?