Senior Director of Commercial Sales
PlanetScale is the modern MySQL platform. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, creators, and enterprise buyers alike.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading investors such as a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins. We are just getting started!
The team and the role
PlanetScale is looking for a highly organized and motivated, self-starter to join our growing Sales team as a Senior Director of Commercial Sales. In this role you will design, build, and scale a product-centric, high-velocity, commercial sales organization. To start you will directly own some deals and manage the full sales cycle so you can play a leading role in defining and refining the sales process. You will also directly manage a small existing team of sellers and you will train and motivate them to succeed. You will also partner extensively with Demand Generation, Marketing, and Sales Operations team to design and implement systems and automation that deliver a predictable new logo pipeline for your sales organization.
What’s the job to be done?
- Exceed Quota with closed won ARR of our hosted Cloud Product
- Develop strategies to engage new product sign ups and prospective buyers early in their journey
- Evaluate and implement the suite of sales automation tools necessary to orchestrate a best in class revenue machine
- Analyze data and conversion metrics to inform and refine the ICP for your organization
- Set strategic priorities and a vision for your team to inspire them to accomplish their best work
- Create and foster an inclusive, collaborative and high performance sales culture
- Wear our customers shoes to deliver exceptional experiences that turns everyone into an advocate for the product
- Maintain accurate data in the CRM and leverage that data to deliver precise weekly sales forecasts and risk analysis
- Be a student of your business, develop insights to increase operational efficiency and sales throughput, make asks of upper leadership to support your execution and plans
- Maintain exceptional rapport within the business and deliver high manager effectiveness ratings and overall team engagement scores
These attributes best describe you…
- Growth Mindset, energized by solving complex problems
- Experience recruiting, enabling and executing early career closers preparing them for the Enterprise
- Builder and innovator who enjoys high level strategy, but can also get deep in the weeds to find answers by listening to prospects and customers.
- You develop strong sales and product knowledge with highly technical products
- You are proactive and invest in your self-development, focusing on the skills and attributes that will make you successful in your role and set you up for future success
- You are a problem solver who collaborates with your colleagues to find solutions
- You have the ability to adapt to a constantly evolving startup environment
- You are able to understand and implement sales processes
- You have the ability to easily establish rapport and relationships with potential clients, direct reports, and cross functional partners
- You have the ability to collaborate effectively cross functionally with Sales Enablement, Account Executives, Marketing, and other internal stakeholders
- You have a drive for success, exceptional work ethic, curious by nature, and are obsessed with smashing sales goals
- You will be able to prioritize your workload and balance it with project work
- You are passionate about sales, prospecting, target strategies
- You have the ability to effectively give and receive feedback
- You have experience with and passion for developer centric and product led GTM motions
- You appreciate what makes PlanetScale special
What you will need
- 7+ years of professional Sales experience
- 5+ years of prior management experience
- Proven self-starter with a track record of hitting and exceeding goals
- Stellar communication skills that include verbal communication, written communication, and active listening
- Prior experience working in a SaaS company, preferably a startup environment
- Proven time management skills
- Desire to work in a competitive and fast-paced environment
- Passionate about cutting-edge technology with the aptitude to learn complex products
- Prior experience working with a broad range of key decision makers from developer to C-suite executives
- Proven ability to multitask, organize and prioritize your workload
- Prior experience with Salesforce.com, Zoominfo, LinkedIn Sales Navigator
- Experience in a Sales organization being built from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you need any accommodations, please inform our Talent Acquisition team upon initial contact. We are happy to accommodate you!
Total Compensation and Pay Transparency
An employee’s total compensation consists of base salary + variable comp where appropriate + benefits + equity. A member of our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to answer any further questions when we engage with you to begin the interview process.
Salary Range: $163,000 - 202,000