Senior Developer Educator
Why PlanetScale Marketing?
The Marketing team at PlanetScale drives awareness and adoption of our database platform through storytelling, brand activations, demand generation, community building, and education. We are responsible for transforming how the industry thinks about using and developing alongside databases. We are changing the game and that’s no easy feat.
We are currently hiring a Senior Developer Educator who will be responsible for developing deep technical content to showcase our product and educate the market around MySQL and databases.
What’s the job to be done?
- Create and maintain PlanetScale’s educational resources to ensure our users and potential customers are successful with our product. This content includes blog posts, trainings, workshops, documentation, sample applications, webinars, and more.
- Revitalize interest in the MySQL world by creating intermediate/advanced video and written courses for our MySQL learning platform.
- Collaborate with our Engineering and Support teams to keep PlanetScale’s documentation accurate and up-to-date.
- Develop technical sales materials that strategically position our product against competitors.
These attributes best describe you
- Experience working as a database administrator or a senior software engineer building and maintaining large-scale applications.
- You may currently be a software engineer or DBA, but you’ve always had a passion for education, content creation, community involvement, and public speaking.
- A perpetual learner, tinkerer, creator, and builder.
- Advanced SQL and/or database knowledge.
- You enjoy sharing knowledge and have a talent for breaking technical topics into succinct and easy-to-understand pieces.
- You’re comfortable taking the lead and steering projects to completion.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments and are able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Your extensive experience working on technical products and databases at scale allows you to write deep technical content. Here are some examples of the type of content you may create in this role:
What you will need
- 4+ years experience as a software engineer or database administrator.
- Advanced knowledge of MySQL and general database management (experience working with Vitess is a bonus)
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Ability to travel 1-4 times per year for team off-sites and/or conferences
What else will help you be successful
- Involvement in developer and database communities
- Links to published technical writing and/or video content: blog posts, docs, videos, etc.
- Experience working on developer tooling and/or cloud products
- Experience working at a remote company
- Experience in developer advocacy
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you need any accommodations, please inform our Talent Acquisition team upon initial contact. We are happy to accommodate!
Total Compensation and Pay Transparency
An employee’s total compensation consists of base salary + variable comp where appropriate + benefits + equity. A member of our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to answer any further questions when we engage with you to begin the interview process.
Salary Range: $130,000 | $190,000