Senior Software Engineer, SMS Team
OneSignal is a leading omnichannel customer engagement solution, powering personalized customer journeys across mobile and web push notifications, in-app messaging, SMS, and email. On a mission to democratize engagement, we enable over a million businesses to keep their users - including readers, fans, players and shoppers - engaged and up to date by delivering 12 billion messages daily.
1 in 5 new apps launches using OneSignal! We support companies in 140 countries, including Zynga, USA Today, Bitcoin.com, Eventbrite, Tribune, and many more - from startups and small businesses just getting off the ground to established companies communicating with millions of customers.
We’re venture-backed by SignalFire, Rakuten Ventures, Y Combinator, HubSpot, and BAM Elevate (read more about our recent Series C!). We offer remote work as the default option in the United States in California, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah as well as in the UK and Singapore - with plans to expand the locations we support in the future. Some roles are hybrid roles and will be listed as such. We have offices in San Mateo, CA and London, UK, and offer flex seating options in the NYC area. Hiring in Singapore is done in partnership with a local PEO.
OneSignal has a lot of the great tech startup qualities you'd expect, but we don't stop there. Our massive scale and small team, emphasis on healthy life balance and kindness in all our interactions, and focus on ownership and personal growth make OneSignal a uniquely great place to work.
About The Team:
The SMS team at OneSignal (https://www.onesignal.com) works primarily on the product interface and API powering our SMS offering as a core component of our omnichannel platform. Our small team’s work makes a massive impact. We tackle challenges at the intersection of engineering and product development, like intelligent message delivery customized to each recipient and enabling 2-way messaging.
We’re continually improving our product to improve our customers’ experience and empower them to create more effective and impactful messaging campaigns. Building clean, modular, and scalable systems is a particular focus as we expect all of our channels (not just SMS) to work seamlessly within our omnichannel product. We move quickly, yet deliberately, always focused on delivering value to our customers. This is an opportunity to join a team in its early stages with a lot of opportunity to deliver an outsized impact.
What You'll Do:
- Deliver high-impact software solutions to business use-cases with elegant, readable code, and clear tests
- Iterate with product on prospective product specs and designs as a technical expert, weighing in not just on feasibility but on opportunities driven by great tech
- Identify our highest leverage technical investment opportunities, socialize, and document plans to enhance our systems, and lead them to success with your colleagues
- Pair/group program, iterate on technical designs with colleagues, and engage in highly communicative code reviews to drive engineering excellence and share knowledge
What You'll Bring:
- 6+ years software engineering experience building high volume, scalable SaaS applications from end-to-end.
- Strong experience and understanding of service-oriented, server-side development. The ideal candidate will have experience with Rust / Go and Ruby + Rails or equivalent languages with a strong desire to learn.
- Experience breaking down large-sized projects into easily understandable tasks and working with a team to drive projects forward
- A proven track record of tackling hard engineering problems, navigating complex software systems, and learning + applying new tools and languages on–the-job
- A passion for mentoring junior or mid-level software engineers to achieve technical excellence together
We value a variety of experiences, and these are not required. It would be an added bonus if you have experience in any of the following:
- Experience with modern client-side development with TypeScript + React or equivalent
- Experience working with marketing messaging channels, particularly SMS
The New York and California base salary for this full time position is between $160,000 to $180,000. Your exact starting salary is determined by a number of factors such as your experience, skills, and qualifications. In addition to base salary, we also offer a competitive equity program and comprehensive and inclusive benefits.
Qualities we look for:
- Friendliness & Empathy
- Accountability & Collaboration
- Proactiveness & Urgency
- Growth Mindset & Love of Learning
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on 'protected categories,' we also strive to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place in our workplace.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on OneSignal. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application and/or interview process.