Staff Data Engineer
OneSignal is a leading omnichannel customer engagement solution, powering personalized customer journeys across mobile and web push notifications, in-app messaging, SMS, and email. On a mission to democratize engagement, we enable over a million businesses to keep their users - including readers, fans, players and shoppers - engaged and up to date by delivering 12 billion messages daily.
1 in 5 new apps launches using OneSignal! We support companies in 140 countries, including Zynga, USA Today, Bitcoin.com, Upwork, Tribune, and many more - from startups and small businesses just getting off the ground to established companies communicating with millions of customers.
We’re venture-backed by SignalFire, Rakuten Ventures, Y Combinator, HubSpot, and BAM Elevate (read more about our recent Series C!). We’re a remote-first company, offering remote work as the default option in the United States in California, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah as well as in the UK and Singapore - with plans to expand the locations we support in the future. We also have offices in San Mateo, CA, New York City, and London, UK. Hiring in Singapore is done in partnership with a local PEO.
OneSignal has a lot of the great tech startup qualities you'd expect, but we don't stop there. Our massive scale and small team, emphasis on healthy life balance and kindness in all our interactions, and focus on ownership and personal growth make OneSignal a uniquely great place to work.
About The Team:
The operations team is a highly analytical team that helps guide and implement strategic initiatives across the company. We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer who lives and breathes data to sit within the operations team and connect and organize our data across the company.
What You'll Do:
- Evaluate ways to increase the efficiency of internal data flows and centralize sources of truth
- Hep evolve our data infrastructure (frameworks, services & tools) to meet changing business needs
- Implement various ETL infrastructures and guidelines on how to most effectively build and maintain them for reporting and analytics
- Create systems that process data into a data lake within operations
- Build a data platform-as-a-service for internal consumers, operating on open-source technologies on GCP
- Develop robust near real-time stream processing that can scale to handle our future growth
- Connect our data to business systems including salesforce, marketo, intercom, google analytics, metabase, etc.
- Build data science / machine learning models using internal and external data sources to identify potential new customers, those who are at risk of churn or those with potential upsell opportunities
- Work with Airflow, DBT, Presto, Hightouch and introduce the latest tools into our technology stack
What You'll Bring:
- 8+ years of data engineering experience, preferably involving multiple years at a high growth startup
- Experience with scalable data architecture, data warehousing, and ETL pipelines
- Advanced knowledge of databases and SQL
- Experience building big data pipelines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working cross functionally
The New York and California base salary for this full time position is between $140,000 to $210,000. Your exact starting salary is determined by a number of factors such as your experience, skills, and qualifications. In addition to base salary, we also offer a competitive equity program and comprehensive and inclusive benefits.
Qualities we look for:
- Friendliness & Empathy
- Accountability & Collaboration
- Proactiveness & Urgency
- Growth Mindset & Love of Learning
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on 'protected categories,' we also strive to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place in our workplace.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on OneSignal. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application and/or interview process.