Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
ABOUT THE ROLE
We're looking for somebody who can help architect and build an enterprise-scale data application. Large, unwieldy datasets and slow, compute-intensive models are the name of the game in machine learning and the backend of our platform is driven by this reality. We're building a flexible and snappy user experience on top of a monstrous amount of data.
On the non-technical side, we're looking for someone driven and excited, but also not afraid to have some fun and bring their own personality to the company. We plan on working on this for the long haul, so our goal is to build an authentic culture that includes your passions and personality. We want you to be proud to be part of Kolena.
You'll have the opportunity to work with a talented founding team, with experience building product and leading development at Amazon, Palantir, Twilio, and Rakuten. We've also built a previous startup (Synapse Technology Corporation) to a successful exit. Moreover, as one of our initial engineers, you will have the agency to influence our software development process — ranging from the technology, to the architecture, to the meta-processes of how engineers work.
As an early-stage startup, we think the most valuable initial engineers are generalists who are excited to learn on the job. As such, we aren't looking for the unicorn candidate who checks every box on this list, but rather someone who grasps many of these concepts well.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, or other quantitative discipline.
- 4+ years of relevant experience working in software development and systems design
A compelling subset of the following characteristics:
- Familiarity with Python CV / NLP / ML libraries
- Mastery of SQL, column-oriented stores, and distributed data warehouse systems
- Familiarity with Spark or another distributed compute platform
- Experience with working independently to develop software with minimal hand holding
- Bias toward writing well documented and well tested code
- Experience with cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP) and knowledge of Kubernetes
- Familiarity with React / Redux / Typescript