Director, Product Design
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role will collaborate in person 4 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to different hubs. They are required to live within a commutable distance of their home hub of New York. Grammarly may provide relocation assistance.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Design Director for Enterprise to join our Product Design team. At Grammarly, we are expanding upon our mission of improving lives by improving communication by helping businesses, enterprises, organizations, and other professional teams achieve business results through better communication. To support this tremendous opportunity for growth with a global reach, we are looking for a visionary and empathetic design leader. In partnership with our Product and Engineering teams, our Design Director for Enterprise will help shape Grammarly’s Enterprise strategy and will continue building a team to deliver on that vision.
As Design Director, you will work closely with leadership on Product, Engineering, and Design teams to continue to define, shape, and grow Grammarly’s Enterprise strategy and provide your team with clarity of purpose and direction. In addition, you will align cross-functional stakeholders and build trust across teams. You will also balance creating a culture of exploration and learning with delivering a high-quality product experience.
In this high-impact role, you will:
- Partner with User Experience Research to ensure a focus on users’ needs throughout the product-development process.
- Establish Grammarly as a best-in-class example of user experience in the enterprise industry.
- Collaborate with the broader Design team to maintain a cohesive and consistent user experience throughout Grammarly’s product portfolio.
- Foster a culture of safety, experimentation, learning, and delivery.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person in New York and potentially other hubs 4 weeks per quarter.
- Has 15 or more years of experience, of which at least 5 managing creative teams.
- Has experience in B2B2C products, understanding both the user, the admin, and the buyer part of the experience.
- Harnesses excellent written and verbal communication to encourage alignment across functions and departments.
- Is excited about working with ambiguity and being part of a cross-functional team in shaping a greenfield area.
- Focuses relentlessly on our customers’ needs and wants.
- Understands how to be proactive in seeking and providing opportunities to improve and expand the team, including team members’ skills and experiences.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options401(k) matching (US only)
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones and locations where we currently support employment, please refer to this page.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this San Francisco-based position are outlined below and may be modified in the future.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.