Security Engineer, Enterprise Security
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in Germany, Poland, or Ukraine, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
Trust is critical to Grammarly’s mission. The mission of the Enterprise Security team is to defend Grammarly’s corporate assets and production infrastructure from all threats through risk reduction. Enterprise security reduces risk to Grammarly by advising, supporting, building, operating, and assuring multiple critical preventive and reactive security controls in tight collaboration with teams and stakeholders across the company.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
The Security Engineer on the Enterprise Security team is responsible for protecting Grammarly's infrastructure, including the corporate environment within which all our employees do their work and our cloud infrastructure within which all our product offerings and services run. This role on the Enterprise Security team will be specific to our detection and response function.
As a Security Engineer, you will:
- Perform forensics and lead response when security incidents occur, including triaging security alerts, taking the relevant mitigation steps, and engaging directly with internal stakeholders.
- Tune our alerting rules to reduce false positives and improve our signal-to-noise ratio.
- Participate in our team’s on-call incident response rotation.
- Streamline our security operations through automation - authoring runbooks, writing code, and building SOAR capabilities.
- Burn down the detection backlog to improve our detection coverage and accuracy.
- Assist with defining, creating, and maintaining SIEM detection rules and dashboards.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has 3+ years of experience in a Security Operations Center (SOC) or technical support experience.
- Has 3+ years of hands-on administration experience with Linux, Mac, and Windows systems.
- Has skills in any of the following security assurance areas: penetration testing, code review, and threat modeling.
- Has working experience with cloud security concepts, including AWS and/or other public cloud technologies.
- Is familiar with the following technologies and frameworks: EDR, SIEM, SOAR, MITRE Att&ck, cyber kill chain.
- Is familiar with programming languages for automation purposes, such as Python, Java, or Go.
- Has a strong understanding of cybersecurity threats, vulnerabilities, and mitigations.
- Has excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks.
- Has strong communication skills, with the ability to explain complex security issues in understandable terms.
- Nurtures the talent in the team and raises the technical talent bar when recruiting for their team.
Nice to have:
- Malware reverse engineering.
- Product Security (PSIRT) experience, including triaging the impact of software vulnerabilities.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits for candidates based in Germany or Ukraine: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing life care (including mental health care and risk benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, wellness and pet care stipends, learning and development opportunities, and more. Note that benefits may differ by location.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights, please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates here.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.