Software Engineer, iOS
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in Poland, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
We are seeking an iOS Software Engineer to join our iOS team and help us achieve our ambitious goals. This person will work closely with other iOS engineers and the Design team to bring ideas to completion.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As an iOS Software Engineer, you will work on our keyboard and iPad/iPhone editors, as well as any new product offerings we develop. Writing effectively on a mobile device can be difficult for many people, so we created the Grammarly Keyboard for iOS. Since its launch in 2017, the keyboard has gained a significant user base, with users utilizing it around 60 times per day.
In this role, you will help take the Grammarly Keyboard and its companion app to the next level, providing users with a world-class experience. You will have the opportunity to grow professionally by working alongside experienced engineers with strong backgrounds in iOS, math, and computer science.
Additionally, you will gain knowledge and understanding of the other tech stacks and toolsets used at Grammarly, expanding your skills beyond the Apple ecosystem.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver a smooth experience in a resource-constrained environment (limited API, limitations on RAM, start-up time limitations, etc.) to over 1.5 million iOS keyboard DAUs.
- Contribute to the architecture of the Grammarly app.
- Collaborate with the team to design and build new features.
- Own the delivery of these features.
- Ensure the quality and responsiveness of the keyboard.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has experience with UIKit, Auto Layout, and Core Animation.
- Has good knowledge of memory management in Swift.
- Experience with GCD, Operation Queue, understanding the multithreading pitfalls.
- Good experience with ReST; experience with web-socket is optional.
- Has good knowledge of software design approaches.
- Brings good software engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Is fluent in engineering best practices: code review, test coverage, and monitoring.
- Understands Apple’s human interface guidelines.
- Is excited about finding optimal solutions in situations of uncertainty.
- Enjoys coming up with and developing features from zero to one.
- Enjoys measuring the success of the developed feature.
- Has experience building app extensions (preferred but not required).
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing life care (including mental health care and risk benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, wellness and pet care stipends, learning and development opportunities, and more. Note that benefits may differ by location.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights, please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates here.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.