Software Engineer, Back-End (Growth Monetization)
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in Germany, Poland, or Ukraine, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Growth Monetization team. This role will run experiments across various Grammarly interfaces to effectively communicate the value of Grammarly Premium to our users. They will build and maintain the system at the heart of Grammarly’s revenue flow, increasing the effectiveness of our Premium communication. They will cooperate closely with Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers while running experiments aimed at improving our ML solutions, that govern how users perceive Grammarly Premium offering.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Backend Engineer at Growth, your work will be highly impactful and visible. You will help shape how users become aware of, evaluate, and purchase our Premium offering.
In this role you will:
- Drive business impact by collaborating cross-functionally with product managers, data scientists, and designers on a stream of growth experiments.
- Master the business growth domain.
- Collaborate with ML engineers to personalize our communication with the users.
- Learn the industry's best experimentation practices.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has a growth mindset, and is focused on delivering measurable business impact.
- Has a strong command of modern front-end technologies.
- Has experience writing back-end services.
- Can quickly adapt to new codebases, written in different languages and paradigms.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits for candidates based in Germany or Ukraine: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing life care (including mental health care and risk benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, wellness and pet care stipends, learning and development opportunities, and more. Note that benefits may differ by location.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights, please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates here.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.