Software Engineer, Back-End (Features Foundations)
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in Germany, Ukraine, or Poland, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an experienced Back-End Engineer to join the foundational track of the Enterprise focus area. This group is building solutions for both small business and larger enterprise customers to bring the power of Grammarly to their employees. Currently, we are building powerful self-service tools for users and admins, with large ambitions to continue expanding our offerings. The foundational team develops core components that enable the Enterprise features. Join us as we work toward our mission of enabling businesses to communicate more effectively in the workplace.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
The enterprise focus area is one of the company's priorities in 2023. There will be many opportunities for growth and ownership as we move fast to build solutions for businesses and their team members. As a Back-End engineer and member of this team, you will:
- Start building and pushing code in your first week and ship impactful enterprise-focused features in your first few months.
- Design, build and support foundational components for the Grammarly back-end ecosystem and integrate them into different services using cutting-edge Java-based technologies.
- Implement integrations both with customer systems and core Grammarly services to address F2000 companies' pain points.
- Learn how to build infrastructure as code (IaC) using Terraform.
- Collaborate widely with internal teams across the globe to find optimal technical solutions for new problems.
- Contribute to an engineering culture with a strong emphasis on documentation, testing, metrics, and user experience.
- Evaluate the systems and technology in place today while proposing systems and architecture that can scale in the future.
- Sometimes, contribute to the various code bases to address dependencies, using TS/JS, C#, Swift.
- Help mentor new hires.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has 5+ years of experience working in a highly scalable consumer product or enterprise SaaS environment.
- Has experience with AWS or other cloud offerings (GCP, Azure, etc).
- Has solid knowledge of Java and used it to build microsystems running in the cloud. Experience with AWS and Terraform is a plus.
- Has experience building, deploying, and debugging production systems at scale.
- Has practical experience with various database technologies and doing data migrations in production environments.
- Is not afraid of JS, C#, Swift or other programming languages and technologies
- Cares about the end user experience and strives to ensure high quality.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits for candidates based in Germany or Ukraine: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing life care (including mental health care and risk benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, wellness and pet care stipends, learning and development opportunities, and more. Note that benefits may differ by location.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights, please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates here.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.