Data Scientist, Mobile
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role will collaborate in person 2-3 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to different hubs. They are required to live within a commutable distance of their home hub of San Francisco. Grammarly may provide relocation assistance.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams rely on Grammarly’s AI-enabled communication assistance to help them communicate confidently and achieve their goals. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category for individuals, enterprises, and developers with tailored service offerings: Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, Grammarly for Education, and Grammarly for Developers. All of this begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re seeking a highly skilled Data Scientist to join our team and work on our mobile keyboard product. The ideal candidate will have a strong product sense and be able to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to develop data-driven solutions. A Data Scientist in this role would:
- Analyze user behavior data and identify patterns and trends to drive product decisions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and implement experiments and A/B tests to validate hypotheses and measure the impact of product changes.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Engineers, and Designers to identify opportunities for data-driven product improvements.
- Communicate complex data analysis and insights to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Data Scientists at Grammarly are trusted subject matter experts who uncover new insights to inform product and growth strategies. Our Data Scientists work with teams that build our core product features, demonstrate the value of our product to users, and empower people to use Grammarly everywhere they write. We have large datasets and are looking for folks with strong technical and analytical skills to break down complex business problems to provide solutions with high visibility and impact for the company.
Grammarly’s Data Scientists have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product and growth roadmap. The complexity of the technical questions we face is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Data Scientist, you will:
- Take on a broad scope of work and an evolving role in a rapidly growing company.
- Conduct deep-dive analyses of user behavior.
- Quantitatively study large user segments.
- Develop user segment targeting strategy.
- Drive direction on the Product and Growth teams.
- Identify new product and growth opportunities.
- Opportunity-size new strategic levers.
- Provide data-driven solutions to complex product and growth questions.
- Define advanced metrics.
- Advise on experimentation strategy.
- Identify strategic data needs.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2–3 weeks per quarter, traveling when necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Holds a Master’s degree in a quantitative field.
- Has 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- Has experience as an influential and effective thought partner to product teams.
- Demonstrates strong communication, proactiveness, creativity, and prioritization skills.
- Has strong analytical and critical thinking skills and a strong bias toward actionable insights.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Has experience helping others understand numbers.
- Has practical experience in data analysis, statistics, and experimentation.
- Is proficient in SQL, Python, R, Scala, or an equivalent language.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options
- 401(k) matching (US only)
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones and locations where we currently support employment, please refer to this page.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this San Francisco-based position are outlined below and may be modified in the future.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Something looks off?