Lead Machine Learning Platform Engineer
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, or Portugal. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in Germany, Ukraine, or Poland, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams rely on Grammarly’s AI-enabled communication assistance to help them communicate confidently and achieve their goals. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category for individuals, enterprises, and developers with tailored service offerings: Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, Grammarly for Education, and Grammarly for Developers. All of this begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Lead ML Platform Engineer to join our ML Infra team. This role will be the technical and thought leader of a nimble and growing team that builds ML Platform, a set of technologies allowing our ML engineers, applied research scientists, and computational linguists to productively focus on their specialized expertise and spend less time on orchestration and infrastructure.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As Lead ML Platform Engineer, you will:
- Architect and build a machine learning platform to accelerate the development of ML solutions across the company and serve multiple constituents and stakeholders: ML engineers, applied research scientists, computational linguists, and data scientists who build user-facing features that rely on machine learning. Make Grammarly’s diverse ML systems more maintainable by providing a common infrastructure, orchestration, and monitoring.
- Champion the interests of internal stakeholders and customers to drive productivity improvements, reduce the time to develop and expand new features. Ensure that their core needs are met to translate models they create into systems operating at scale.
- Research existing open-source tools and MLOps and Platform approaches taken by other companies to ensure we are building best-in-class technology. Guide the organization through buy vs. build trade-offs.
- Scale our ability to reuse models, features, and code in ML systems across the company.
- Produce system architectures and designs that balance the needs of multiple constituencies and make core scenarios seamless.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Is experienced with traditional ML and modern DL algorithms in NLP. Has hands-on experience with seq-2-seq, transformer, and other modern model architectures with expertise deploying them to production. Understands unique challenges with sparse feature sets and the transformer-based pre-trained deep learning models central to NLP.
- Experience with LLM deployment and optimization is a plus. Experience with LLM training and fine-tuning is a plus.
- Has experience with system design and building internal tools and platforms.
- Is an experienced back-end Python developer. Has hands-on experience with AWS or GCP clouds Experience with Java, Scala, Spark is a big plus.
- Is experienced with one of existing ML cloud platforms offerings and tools. Has experience managing resource utilization, cost and performance of the ML systems in the cloud with accelerators and GPUs.
- Understands data structures and algorithms at a level sufficient to write performant code when working with large datasets or data streams.
- Has understanding and experience with industry ML platforms such as Michelangelo or FBLearner Flow.
- Has a consistent record working with internal partners (data platform, analytics, and data science teams) and strategic stakeholders (product managers and security teams).
- Stays up-to-date in the fast-moving field of ML, DL, NLP, and MLOps.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We also support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
- Comprehensive benefits for candidates based in Germany or Ukraine: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing life care (including mental health care and risk benefits) and ample and defined time off. We also offer support to set up a home office, wellness and pet care stipends, learning and development opportunities, and more. Note that benefits may differ by location.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights, please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates here.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. In Europe, all team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Something looks off?