Senior and Intermediate Machine Learning Engineer
Marketing & Communications, Software Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2023
EvenUp is a venture-backed generative AI startup that ensures injury victims are awarded the full value of their claims, expanding the $100B+ in awards granted to injury victims every year. Every year, the legal system has made it difficult for millions of ordinary people to seek justice, especially for folks without means or who come from underrepresented backgrounds. Our vision is to help these injury victims get the justice they deserve, irrespective of their income, demographics, or the quality of their legal representation.
EvenUp operates across all types of injury cases, from police brutality and child abuse to California wildfires and motor vehicle accidents. Our ML-driven software empowers attorneys to accurately assess the value of these cases by doing a core part of their workflow (legal drafting), enabling them to secure larger settlements in record time. As EvenUp evaluates more cases, our proprietary data grows, enhancing the precision of our predictions and delivering more value to both attorneys and victims alike.
As one of the fastest growing startups ($0 to $10M in ARR in <2 years), we raised $65M in investment from some of the best investors in the world (Bessemer, Bain Capital, Signalfire, DCM, NFX, Tribe Capital), seasoned tech executives (i.e. founder of Quora, SVP at Google, former CPO at Uber), and public figures that care about our social mission (Nas, Jared Leto, Byron Jones). Our team comes from top tech, legal, and investing backgrounds including Waymo, Google, Amazon, Uber, Quora, Blizzard, Norton Rose, Warburg Pincus, Bain, and McKinsey.
Why we're hiring machine learning engineers:
In the past year, our engineering and data science team grew from <10 to ~30 and we rolled out infrastructure updates, new products, and updates to existing workflows - combining data, ML frontend and backend work. The next 12 months are very exciting for us; we expect the technical team to triple to 80+ as we deliver on a roadmap to handle 10x our current volume. Now is the time to get on the ground floor as we scale!
We are looking for machine learning engineers who are passionate about building production machine learning products with a world-class team headed up by Matyas (lead early and foundational teams at Quora and Uber). You will have immense opportunities to work on a broad range of business/technical problems and technologies, build machine learning models, and design/automate/deploy production machine learning pipelines. We share a passion for problem-solving, new technologies, and learning, so you will be highly encouraged to explore new technologies and develop innovative solutions that could take the team's machine-learning engineering capability to the next level.
What you'll do:
- You will build and deploy machine learning models in production that tangibly impact the lives of our customers
- You will be responsible for technical roadmaps and will collaborate with Product Management, Product Engineering, and Design to shape the overall product roadmap
- You will be a strategic partner for leaders across the organization on driving business impact through machine learning
- You will coach and mentor the next generation of strong engineers on the team
What we're seeking:
- Experience building machine learning systems deployed to production
- Industry or research experience in NLP, information retrieval, or entity resolution
- Ability to communicate technical ideas or issues in easy-to-understand and actionable terms
- Ability to translate theory and new ideas into practical shippable solutions
- Thrive on data-driven development, always looking for ways to analyze and improve with data
- Can develop methods and algorithms from first principles where necessary as opposed to relying fully on packaged third-party solutions
- Learn quickly and are seeking opportunities to work cross-functionally and with a diverse group of people
- Are looking for new challenges to take your craft to the next level
Nice to have:
Benefits & Perks:
We seek to empower all of our team members to fulfill our mission of making the world a more just place, regardless of our team’s function, geography, or experience level. To that end, we offer:
- Fully remote setup - work from wherever you feel is best (Plus a stipend to upgrade your home office!)
- Flexible working hours to match your style
- Offsites - get to meet your coworkers on a fully-expensed trip every 6-12 months!
- Choice of great medical, dental, and vision insurance plan options
- Flexible paid time off
- A variety of virtual team events such as game nights & happy hours
EvenUp is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.