Senior Software Engineer
Bubble empowers businesses and entrepreneurs around the world to build software and apps without writing any code or having to think about infrastructure. We have created a rich visual programming language running on commodity cloud infrastructure, making technology accessible and user friendly and allowing users to bring their visions to life quickly.
What we’ve achieved:
Our product is working, and we are thriving. Entire VC-backed companies have been built entirely on Bubble, we recently raised a $100 million Series A after years of bootstrapping, and we’re one of the fastest growing companies in the New York tech ecosystem.
You can build just about anything on Bubble. All new hires build Bubble apps as part of their onboarding, and a recent hire on our Customer Success team built their own version of the social media application Goodreads in 4 days. It has user authentication, an activity feed, upvotes, commenting, followers, lists, account management, live updates, a fully loaded database, API connectivity, and more.
About the role:
Bubble is simultaneously a no-code design tool, a Turing-complete programming language, and a hosting platform as a service. As you might imagine, the technical challenges we face are interesting and diverse. We view ourselves as still early-stage in our long-term product journey, and there is unlimited scope for engineers to shape our future direction.
Senior engineers at Bubble are expected to have a strong voice in both product and technical direction, ship a lot of code, drive technical excellence, and teach and learn from their colleagues. We have a culture that emphasizes trust and autonomy, where teams are given problems to tackle rather than solutions to implement.
Team placement is flexible, and we encourage internal mobility. Current openings include:
- Our Editor team: we are looking for experienced engineers who are passionate about programming languages and/or design tools to evolve the core Bubble language, make our editor usable and intuitive, and add new capabilities to our product. We prefer diverse technical backgrounds with both frontend and backend experience.
- Our Platform team: we are looking for backend and infrastructure engineers to build scalable, secure architecture, internal tooling and testing infrastructure, and highly-performant services.
For all our openings, we are looking for:
- 5+ years’ industry experience as a software engineer, preferably at high-growth startups
- Strong coding skills and the ability to mentor other engineers
- Excellent communication
- Alignment with our values: a desire to empower others, a focus on team and user success over individual achievement, and transparency and willingness to admit mistakes and failures
We don’t require new hires to be experts in our tech stack day 1, but some familiarity and a willingness to learn fast is helpful:
- Frontend: Typescript, SolidJS
- Backend: Typescript, Node.js, Redis, Postgres, TimescaleDB
- Infrastructure: AWS, CDK / Terraform, ECS, Typescript, Elastic
This is an exciting opportunity to help define the future of software development! We look forward to hearing from you.
We offer competitive compensation aligned to tier one markets, such as New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle. Our estimated salary for this role at Bubble ranges from $157,000 to $213,000. Actual pay is determined by multiple factors such as skills, qualifications, experience and market demand.
At Bubble, we encourage people from all ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Bubble does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
For this role, Bubble is currently only considering candidates who are authorized to work in the US and are within commuting distance of our office in New York City. We will provide relocation assistance to those who are interested in moving to the NYC area.
While we do not have any in-office attendance requirements, we prefer hiring people within commuting distance of our NYC office because we value getting together in person regularly. For those who enjoy working from our Manhattan office on a more regular basis, we offer catered lunches, and happy hours, among other fun perks.