Engineering Manager, Mobile App Creator
Bubble empowers businesses and entrepreneurs around the world to build software and apps without writing any code or having to think about infrastructure. We have created a rich visual programming language running on commodity cloud infrastructure, making technology accessible and user friendly and allowing users to bring their visions to life quickly.
What we’ve achieved:
Our product is working, and we are thriving. Entire VC-backed companies have been built entirely on Bubble, we recently raised a $100 million Series A after years of bootstrapping, and we’re one of the fastest growing companies in the New York tech ecosystem.
You can build just about anything on Bubble. All new hires build Bubble apps as part of their onboarding, and a recent hire on our Customer Success team built their own version of the social media application Goodreads in 4 days. It has user authentication, an activity feed, upvotes, commenting, followers, lists, account management, live updates, a fully loaded database, API connectivity, and more.
About the role:
Bubble primarily creates web applications, and the #1 feature request we get from users is to expand to native iOS and Android. We have a small team of engineers building out our native mobile offering for a mid-2024 private alpha, and we are looking for our first mobile leader to help the team deliver, from the v0 through to a fully mature product offering. This includes extending the Bubble web-based editor to add mobile app creation as a capability, building infrastructure for packaging and deploying apps to the iOS and Google Play app stores, and building a React Native runtime for apps that integrates with Bubble’s existing backend. This is one of our most important product investments in 2024, allowing us to address an entirely new market that will have a massive impact on our business. We’re looking for an engineering manager who can take a concept from prototype to maturity while investing in a strong team.
As our Engineering Manager, you will focus on:
- Speed and quality of delivery – collaborate with Product and Design to make our launch a success, and establish a multi-year roadmap of improvements to build a fully mature, robust offering.
- Career development and hiring – we’ve built a diverse team of 5 high performing engineers; help expand, uplevel, and promote them to set us up for long term success.
- Cultural development – help build an engineering culture of shared success and shared failure, driving inclusion, equity, and continuous learning.
- Problem solving – building an editor and runtime for application development is considerably more complicated than directly building applications. Help our team work through tricky technical challenges, mentor them, and uplevel their problem-solving skills.
- Production support - Bubble is a critical part of our customers’ infrastructure and businesses, and we expect our native mobile offering to become essential for its users. Develop technical standards, testing, observability, and an on-call rotation for our mobile infrastructure and user experience.
- Strategic collaboration - work closely with product managers, engineering managers, leadership, and senior/staff engineers to align the mobile team with other product teams and help deliver results for Bubble as a whole.
- Technical innovation – help us push the envelope of how easy and fast it is to develop native mobile applications, including potentially integrating generative AI into the design process.
- Most qualified candidates will be a current staff/principal engineer, tech lead, engineering manager, or senior engineering manager, with at least 2 years of people management/mentorship experience. Experience mentoring/managing people is required.
- While no specific technologies are a hard requirement, we value prior experience with React Native, iOS development, typescript, and full-stack web development.
This first-of-its-kind position at Bubble offers a rare opportunity to help an industry-leading company launch a highly-anticipated product. If you are looking for a role that will help you grow your career as a technology leader of the future, this is the perfect role for you.
Join us, and let’s democratize access to technology together!
We offer competitive compensation aligned to tier one markets, such as New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle. Our estimated salary for this role at Bubble ranges from $174,000 to $236,000. Actual pay is determined by multiple factors such as skills, qualifications, experience and market demand.
For this role, Bubble is currently only considering candidates who are authorized to work in the US and are within commuting distance of our office in New York City. We will provide relocation assistance to those who are interested in moving to the NYC area.
While we do not have any in-office attendance requirements, we prefer hiring people within commuting distance of our NYC office because we value getting together in person regularly. For those who enjoy working from our Manhattan office on a more regular basis, we offer catered lunches, and happy hours, among other fun perks.