Engineering Manager, Platform
Bubble empowers businesses and entrepreneurs around the world to build software and apps without writing any code or having to think about infrastructure. We have created a rich visual programming language running on commodity cloud infrastructure, making technology accessible and user friendly and allowing users to bring their visions to life quickly.
What we’ve achieved:
Our product is working, and we are thriving. Entire VC-backed companies have been built entirely on Bubble, we recently raised a $100 million Series A after years of bootstrapping, and we’re one of the fastest growing companies in the New York tech ecosystem.
You can build just about anything on Bubble. All new hires build Bubble apps as part of their onboarding, and a recent hire on our Customer Success team built their own version of the social media application Goodreads in 4 days. It has user authentication, an activity feed, upvotes, commenting, followers, lists, account management, live updates, a fully loaded database, API connectivity, and more.
About the role:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager in our Platform division to help lead our scaling, reliability, and enablement efforts as we look to double our customer base over the next few years. The scope includes both scalable infrastructure, and our core backend software systems. This role includes after-hours/on-call availability.
As our Engineering Manager, you will focus on:
- Career development - lead, uplevel, and promote a diverse team of 7-9 engineers, driving inclusion, equity, and continuous learning.
- Strategic collaboration - work closely with product managers, engineering managers, leadership, and senior/staff engineers to develop and implement the next-gen distributed systems and software designs crucial to Bubble’s growth and operations.
- Problem solving - Address and resolve complex scaling issues such as multi-tenancy, trust and safety, security, and capacity management, while users leverage the system in novel, unexpected, and high load ways.
- Technical innovation: drive the evolution of our language core, inventing smart workload management, autoscaling, self healing, and observability techniques of a complex platform, enhancing product performance and reliability across the board.
- Risk management - navigate the tradeoffs, challenges, ambiguity, and relative priority assessments inherent to legacy software trying to scale, bridging short term needs with long term vision. Help bridge on-call responsibilities and engineering ownership with our product roadmapping, empowering engineers to prevent fires.
- Communication - help the business understand the value and importance of platform work, celebrate victories, communicate post mortems, and work inclusively with integral cross functional teams to drive projects forward and deliver results.
- Culture development - help build an engineering culture of shared success and shared failure where the stakes are high in a way that is sustainable and builds quality.
Most qualified candidates will be a current staff/principal engineer, tech lead, engineering manager, or senior engineering manager, with at least 2 years of people management/mentorship experience. Experience mentoring/managing people is required.
This position offers a rare opportunity to lead and influence a platform that is reshaping the traditional engineering stack for the world. If you are looking for a role that will grow your career as a technology leader of the future, and push your leadership and engineering skills to their limits, this is the perfect role for you.
Join us, and let’s democratize access to technology together!
We offer competitive compensation aligned to tier one markets, such as New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle. Our estimated salary for this role at Bubble ranges from $174,000 to $236,000. Actual pay is determined by multiple factors such as skills, qualifications, experience and market demand.
At Bubble, we encourage people from all ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Bubble does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Bubble is remote-friendly, and we have employees who work across the United States. In-office requirements will vary by role. You'll be able to identify which state you plan to work in on your application. Note: at this time, for this particular role, we are only considering candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S. and are within commuting distance of our office based in New York City.